Make your marketing print budget go further
We all expect value for money when it comes to marketing print. Planning and agreeing your marketing print budget is no mean feat at the best of times, let alone during this period of uncertainty, with budgets likely to have been reduced for 2021/22.
Still, whatever you have to play with for the year ahead, you’ll be looking for cost reductions without having to compromise on output and quality.
So here are ten ways to help save money on your marketing print (and be much more planet positive). It all adds up!
- 1. PLAN AHEAD – It’s no surprise that printing multiple items for campaigns together can reduce your unit cost, but it’s a tactic that isn’t always used! Printing multiple campaigns at the same time, such as Halloween and Christmas, can reduce print set up costs and deliveries as well as keeping your unit costs to a minimum. Planning ahead can also secure peak production slots at the best possible price.
- 2. USE STANDARD SIZES – Sticking to a standard template size or one you’ve used before may not seem as exciting as creating bespoke print materials. But it’s an easy way to use a tried and tested approach without incurring additional raw material and production costs.
- 3. REUSE AND ADAPT CREATIVE – Reusing creative to help to reduce design costs can prove effective. This works particularly well for promotions with a simple message. For example, you can add newness to previously used Sale fabric banners with updated window vinyls to refresh a display without the cost of producing all new elements. FSDU headerboards can be changed to show new promotions without the need for different units each time.
- 4. USE STANDARD MATERIALS – Materials must be chosen carefully to ensure that they are fit for purpose, look good, are durable and are environmentally friendly. However, in some cases opting for a lower cost material can substantially save you money, without compromising on quality. Your print supplier can advise on the latest sustainable materials to suit.
- 5. AVOID WASTE – It’s not always necessary to print a lot of overs (or any at all) for every element of each campaign, ‘just in case’. Printing on demand can be used to quickly replace any printed item that is needed, ensuring you’re only paying for required items and not spending extra on storage or throwing away un-used items at the end of a campaign.
- 6. SCALE YOUR PROCUREMENT – For sizeable businesses, marketing and procurement teams could be spread across the globe, each concentrating on localised campaigns. Whilst this focus makes sense to conveniently manage distinct promotions, securing and committing to print efficiencies and sharing knowledge at a wider Group level can reap cost benefits.
- 7. COMMUNICATE WITH STORES – A full and updated store audit is invaluable. It may take some time but being clear on what promotional materials individual stores need to be supplied with is crucial. This ensures that stores don’t receive additional print materials that they have no space for and can’t use. As well as reducing wastage, your overall campaign cost will go down as over-printing is reduced.
- 8. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO DETAIL – Giving yourself time to plan and consider the specifics at the beginning of your project can prevent the need for unnecessary last-minute changes. Wherever possible, get your creative design and messaging fully approved by all stakeholders before artwork stage and pay close attention to the finer details when proofing to avoid any costly reprints.
- 9. CONSOLIDATE DELIVERIES – Delivering direct to each store may be the quickest way to receive print materials. But it’s also worth considering grouping your materials together for multiple stores and delivering these to your own regional warehouse and distribution centres. Your printed items can then be transported alongside other goods also destined for the same store. Delivery costs will reduce, and the shared delivery journey is better for the environment. Win win.
- 10. MANAGE YOUR TIME – Time is money, so saving time on paperwork means your colleagues can spend it on something else. Using an automated proof approval system for regularly printed items can speed up the production process, reduce admin time spent on managing marketing materials, and divert staff resource to other, more beneficial projects.
Let us help
We’ve already helped many retailers and brands to save money on their marketing print. Let us help you to make your marketing budget go further. Speak to our team for cost saving options to suit your needs.